International Rescue Committee: Microenterprise Business Counselor
Under the supervision of the Microenterprise Program Manager, the Microenterprise Business Counselor will support the continued development of the IRC Microenterprise Program. The IRC Microenterprise Program offers loans and technical assistance to help refugees and other San Diego residents start or grow a small business.
- Assist in the outreach and recruitment of program participants; screen and assess interested
- refugees for program eligibility and participation
- Provide one-on-one business counseling and management assistance to new and existing
- refugee owned-businesses in all areas of business start-up and expansion
- Assist refugee entrepreneurs to become ready for business financing through preparation of
- loan applications, business plans, and financial statements
- Conduct individual case management and loan collections, including “off site” technical
- assistance visits to the businesses or homes of program participants
- Proactively facilitate referrals to outside service providers as necessary to meet the diverse
- needs of the program participants
- Ensure that information required for program eligibility and reporting purposes is collected and
- that accurate records are maintained, including case files and client data entry. Ensure
- necessary steps are taken to obtain relevant data in a timely fashion; follow-up with all clients
- regularly and record all contacts with case notes
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings with other IRC staff and volunteers as part of the review,
- evaluation and program maintenance process.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of classroom activities and special events
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and experience with an array of business topics, including marketing, management,
- financing, and entrepreneurship
- Minimum 1-2 yrs experience in business counseling or technical assistance
- Familiar with business software and technologies, especially low-cost online marketing strategies
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in a common refugee language preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to make presentations
- Regular travel to off-site locations is required.
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and maintain responsibility for multiple tasks
- Masters or bachelors degree in related field; business experience in lieu of formal business
- education is acceptable
Please apply at http://www.rescue.org/careers.