Center on Policy Initiatives (CPI): Organizer
The Center on Policy Initiatives (CPI) is an innovative San Diego-based non-profit organization that combines cutting-edge research, policy campaigns, coalition building and leadership development programs to promote economic and social justice.
This is a full time position requiring an individual of independence, initiative and responsibility. The successful candidate must have a strong commitment to strengthening the labor and progressive social justice movements; collaborating with progressive, diverse community organizations; and conducting effective organizing, outreach and the promotion of a comprehensive policy program. Our work focuses on a broad range of issues affecting low-income workers and their families. The organizer will be both building and managing coalitions and working with and training emerging grassroots leaders to carry out campaigns that benefit low-wage workers, maintain and expand access to quality jobs, and create healthier, more equitable and sustainable communities.
- Train and support individual leadership in the strategy and execution of issues and campaigns.
- Recruit individuals through one-on-one visits and organizational presentations.
- Develop and manage coalitions.
- Plan, organize and debrief actions and meetings.
- Educate the community about CPI issues and campaigns.
- Develop and cultivate relationships to increase allies’ organizational capacity and campaign participation.
- Coordinate and execute CPI organizing efforts with overall campaign strategies.
- Develop materials for CPI recruitment, community actions, etc.
- Communicate with partner organizations, including labor unions, progressive community organizations, human service organizations, environmental groups, LGBT groups, academics, religious institutions and others.
- Identify new target communities to organize, consistent with CPI’s existing and future work.
- Facilitate meetings.
- Track progress toward and effectiveness of organizing and campaign goals.
- Document CPI’s organizing and campaign accomplishments and periodically report and communicate to appropriate stakeholders about progress in reaching goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Community and/or union organizing experience, including recruitment, cultivation and leader development.
- Experience developing and working with diverse, broad-based coalitions.
- Experience designing, coordinating, and leading training programs desirable.
- Ability both to lead and to work well in teams.
- Strong written and verbal skills; computer competency.
- Self-directed and able to handle multiple projects and responsibilities.
- Willingness and flexibility to work “campaign hours” when necessary; ability to work well under stress and deadlines.
- Belief in and commitment to social and economic justice.
- Experience working with communities of color, immigrant communities, and/or people whose first or only language is other than English.
- Spanish proficiency highly desirable.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, salaried position. Salary is competitive, based on experience, with generous benefits.
Interested applicants should email cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com. CPI actively supports affirmative action. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.