San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable and drinkable water in San Diego County. We seek an inspiring and organized individual with experience in clean water issues to grow and guide our community programs. You will increase awareness and activism among San Diego’s youth and residents and involve the community in protecting our waters through meaningful and fulfilling relationships, volunteer roles and events.
San Diego Coastkeeper believes that community participation is essential to build
understanding and achieve our regional goals of clean water and pollution prevention. We create and manage opportunities for this participation.
- Working with the Waterkeeper, foster relationships with communities in San Diego County to ensure they can contribute their voice to the conversation about water issues
- Build a program with one to two cities that engages residents or businesses in pollution prevention to support the Regional stormwater Permit
- Represent San Diego Coastkeeper on selected regional committees (e.g., Wildlife Advisory Group of the Chula Vista Bayfront development)
- Communicate program successes on the website, newsletter, blog and social media
- With Education Coordinator, plan and execute public events
- Support fundraising events by supporting logistics and recruiting and managing volunteers
- Develop relationships with vendors to secure discounted and donated event space and food
San Diego Coastkeeper greatly values our volunteer and intern team members. Volunteers support ongoing and occasional programs. We work with approximately 250 long-term and 5,000 event volunteers each year.
- Recruit, train, track and retain knowledgeable, active volunteers to support programs/staff
- With Water Quality Lab Manager, organize:
- Monthly volunteer water quality monitoring events (weekends)
- Bioassessment events (twice/ year) to support the water quality monitoring program
- With Education Coordinator, manage an internship program for water monitoring, beach cleanups, outreach, law/policy and administration.
Trash Cleanup Program
Beach & inland cleanups beautify and protect our waterways and offer an activity for individuals, families, companies and other groups that engage them in our mission.
- Organize, conduct and promote twice-monthly cleanups (with Surfrider Foundation), the Beach Cleanup in a Box program and the Sponsored Cleanup Program
- Coordinate data collection and analysis and create annual outreach built around the data
- With Water Quality Manager, conduct inland trash assessments to meet goals of Bight ’13 regional initiative and Coastkeeper’s water quality monitoring program
- Manage supplies inventory & strive to minimize single use supplies
- Recruit and manage beach cleanup intern as needed
Candidates will have experience with community organizing, event planning and volunteer management. We look for excellent oral and written communication skills, highly developed interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to motivate and manage community volunteers. Be hard working, self-motivated and demonstrate a deep commitment and passion for environmental protection. Familiarity with water quality issues and the policies surrounding them is preferred, as is Spanish language proficiency. Some level of physical exertion – carrying supplies, setting up booths, etc. – is required.
Submit a resume and cover letter as a single PDF or Word Document no later than noon, Friday, August 9, 2013 (Pacific time) to email@example.com. Your cover letter should discuss volunteer management and program planning, supervisory experience and salary requirements.