The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties seeks a dynamic Administrative Associate to support our organization. The Administrative Associate reports to the Executive Administrator.
The ACLU fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all, through education, litigation, policy advocacy, and organizing. The ACLU promotes and defends civil rights and civil liberties, including First Amendment rights, equal protection, privacy, and due process. The San Diego ACLU works collaboratively with the National ACLU headquarters in New York, as well as with the ACLU affiliates headquartered in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Together, the three California affiliates have more than 100,000 members and 120 staff in California.
Located in beautiful San Diego, our ACLU affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has 30 staff members, 23 board members, 8,000 members, and an annual budget of $4 million. San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and the second largest in California. San Diego County has the third largest number of registered voters in California. Imperial County is the poorest county in California.
The ideal candidate will have a deep commitment and passion to ensuring civil liberties for everyone and an understanding of what it takes to fight for equality and equal protection under the law for all.
Position Overview and Functions:
The successful candidate will perform general and office administrative duties and provide support for special events under the supervision of the Executive Administrator and in cooperation with other staff.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Perform general office duties, including distributing mail, front office reception, answering phones and directing calls, monitoring and ordering supplies, copying, and filing.
- Manage and troubleshoot office systems and machines, including telephone, voicemail, and information technology.
- Maintain professional, orderly working environment in common areas.
- Assist Executive Administrator in organizing meetings, including set up, ordering food and preparation of materials for meetings.
- Assist in planning and support for organizational events, including coordination of Volunteer Night,
- Annual Meeting, and other special events as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as needed or assigned by Executive Director and Executive Administrator.
- Commitment to and knowledge of civil liberties. Familiarity with work and mission of ACLU.
- Minimum of two years clerical/administrative experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proven attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks and finish projects within deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated, organized, and adaptable.
- Experience working with computer programs, such as Microsoft office.
- Ability to work with diverse communities.
- Spanish language skills required.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: Interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of references, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.