Position Title: Communications and Stewardship Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Status: 40 hours per week; non-exempt position
Founded in 1974, the San Diego Hunger Coalition (SDHC) is a small nonprofit organization that leads coordinated action to end hunger in San Diego County. SDHC partners with community-based organizations, schools, government agencies, healthcare providers and advocacy organizations across the county and state to achieve the following goals:
1. Build a more effective and interconnected system of food assistance resources.
2. Enable low-income families and individuals to purchase more healthy food by increasing participation in CalFresh, a monthly supplement to a household’s food budget.
3. Ensure all children have year-round access to healthy food by expanding school meals and other federal child nutrition programs.
SDHC is the voice for more than 480,000 children, families and seniors in San Diego County who do not have enough food. We conduct research, advocate on behalf of food-insecure San Diegans and provide technical assistance to other organizations, public officials and school districts. SDHC’s action-oriented team is made up of motivated, skilled colleagues who are determined to end hunger in San Diego. We value our staff, continued learning and community engagement.
Position Description: The Communications and Stewardship Officer will be the creative power driving SDHC’s community presence and donor stewardship activities. The Communications and Stewardship Officer will interpret SDHC’s research and activities in creative written and visual media to rally action and funding around hunger issues in San Diego County.
Responsibilities include designing dynamic infographics, articles, newsletters, direct mail, stewardship reports and donor recognition programs. This role requires an inventive mind, collaborative style and ability to represent complex concepts visually. These will generate visibility, grow SDHC’s donor base and position SDHC as a thought and practice leader, strengthening the organization’s ability to influence key policy-makers.
Communications Strategy and Implementation (65%)
• Develop and implement compelling strategies and messaging to energize the community, donors and public officials to take action and respond to hunger issues.
• Present research creatively using impactful data visualization, graphics and dashboards.
• Write press releases and articles persuasively and accurately to inform nonprofit partners, government, media and the general public of relevant issues.
• Write, edit and proof email blasts, coordinating with SDHC team to brainstorm content.
• Create written and visual materials that maintain and grow a recognizable SDHC brand.
• Maintain relationships with media by organizing press packets, media alerts, press releases, letters to the editor, guest columns, press conferences and briefings.
• Create engaging content for all media channels through text, photography and video.
• Track digital analytics of online content for impact and reach; create reports on findings.
• Manage external contractors for graphic design, video production and other as necessary.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Development and Donor Stewardship (35%)
• Support development strategy and related activities with donor-focused communications.
• Optimize online content and presence to drive donor engagement and meet fundraising goals.
• Publicize SDHC educational programs, convenings and other events to further connect donors to the cause.
• Expand SDHC’s social media to engage supporters in ongoing advocacy and fundraising.
• Plan and manage continuous stewardship campaign for existing donors; develop and implement new donor prospecting campaign.
• Apply trends and best practices in communications to yield successful fundraising results.
• Develop data tracking capabilities to ensure goals are being met.
• Coordinate with Executive Director and Grantwriter to ensure balanced and effective approach to fundraising.
• Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of communications experience in nonprofit and/or public policy work.
• Experience with nonprofit fundraising, donor stewardship and individual giving campaigns.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
• Experience designing digital and print communications for various media and audiences.
• Strong data analysis skills, including the ability to learn new data sets.
• Strong knowledge of data visualization concepts and experience with data visualization.
• Savvy with social media strategy and e-marketing platforms.
• Competency in Microsoft Office; particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Competency in Adobe Creative Suite; particularly Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
• Experience with a website CMS such as Squarespace or WordPress. Experience with an
email management system such as MailChimp. Proficiency with basic HTML and CSS.
• Experience managing a CRM such as Salesforce.
• Knowledgeable of and comfortable with standards of social etiquette (in person, in writing, on the telephone, in email communication).
• Able to work effectively in a team setting.
• Must be willing to contribute to a positive organizational culture.
• Experience working with government officials (elected, appointed, staff) on policy issues, with a preference for experience in the San Diego region.
• Experience working with communities of color, immigrant communities, and/or people whose first or only language is other than English.
• Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Terms of Employment:
SDHC’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and will depend on qualifications and experience. Full benefits include healthcare, 401(k) with employer contribution, and generous vacation and holiday time. This position may involve occasional travel.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, samples of current design work or link to online design portfolio, a short writing sample and wage history to firstname.lastname@example.org and put the words “Communications and Stewardship Officer” in the subject line. No phone calls please.