Position Title COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Application Closing /Start Date Open until filled; interviews begin immediately
Job Hours Full time, exempt, some evenings and weekend hours
Salary $50,000 annual, DOE
Under the direction of the chief development officer, the communications coordinator is responsible for managing agency external communications. General responsibilities include, but are not limited to, media relations, strategic communications, community relations, advocacy efforts, production of media on multiple platforms, and other special projects as needed. Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensuring brand and message consistency across multiple materials and platforms;
- Developing a communications plan for a diverse set of target audiences and campaigns, including timelines and deliverables, in consultation with the C-suite team;
- Writing and editing the majority of Center media materials, including traditional and social media;
- Coordinating media support and availability;
- Supporting the media spokespersons;
- Maintaining and refreshing agency website and social media pages;
- Developing and editing the majority of Center program and outreach materials;
- Ensuring that all communications deadlines are met
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities desired. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Education and/or Experience: A bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field is required, as is a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in communications and media relations. Professional skills should include strong, proven writing and editing ability, as well as a strong background in traditional, electronic, social and emerging media. Prior experience working in the LGBT and HIV communities is required, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Computer/Office Equipment Skills: Must be comfortable working in PC/Windows-based environments. Must be proficient with AP Style, Microsoft Office, major social media platforms.
- Other Skills: Demonstrated competence in working with a variety of populations is required. Lived experience as a member of a historically under-served community (low income, communities of color, LGBT communities, immigrant communities, etc.) is preferred. Requires excellent interpersonal communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks with rapidly shifting priorities, and the ability to work well with staff and volunteers of different cultures.
- Language Skills:Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
To apply, send your cover letter, resume and application electronically to:
Cara Dessert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application is online at: www.thecentersd.org/pdf/jobs/employment-application.pdf
Please note: We are unable to accept any phone or walk-in inquiries for this position. The San Diego LGBT Community Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.