JOIN THE TEAM
National Network Organizer
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority Deadline January 31st, 2018
POTENTIAL START DATE: February 28th, 2018 or sooner.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time, salaried position, non-exempt
COMPENSATION: $32,000-$40,000 depending on experience and region’s cost of living, plus 100% employer paid health, paid vacation and sick leave, retirement account with employer match, vision and dental insurance premium and 80% reimbursement on cell phone bill
About Power Shift Network:
The Power Shift Network (PSN) mobilizes the collective power of young people to mitigate climate change and create a just, clean energy-powered future and resilient, thriving communities for all. Power Shift Network was formerly known as Energy Action Coalition—referred to as the “hub of the youth climate movement”—and brought together groups of environmental organizations to strengthen and empower youth-led organizing for just solutions to the climate crisis. As the Power Shift Network, we continue this important work with a new, more agile, and responsive model that creates space for young people and others committed to building a stronger grassroots movement for climate justice that is aligned with larger national movements for social justice. Learn more about Power Shift Network’s mission, vision, and values here.
About the Position:
PSN is searching for a dynamic, energetic organizer to grow the reach of the youth climate movement, with a special emphasis on community college campuses. An ideal candidate will come to us with experience organizing on community college campuses and/or with non-traditional college students, with an emphasis on leadership development.
Job Activities & Responsibilities:
- Supports organizations, including student groups, in developing and executing strategic campaigns or programs.
- Supports and provides professional assistance – including strategy coaching, leadership development, training, and other relevant components – to network members.
- Identifies opportunities to connect network members and programs with relevant organizations, funding opportunities and other resources
- Convenes and supports network members in goal setting, planning, and reporting against benchmarks.
- Assists in the development of Network recruitment strategy and implements the strategy along with the rest of the field team.
- Plans and coordinates strategy and activities to obtain media coverage in regional and national media outlets. Participates in the development of media campaigns in collaboration with the Digital Coordinator and other campaigners; may represent Power Shift Network in the media; promotes volunteer media exposure; and assist the development of independent/youth-led media.
- Supports the development and preparation of campaign information including the writing, editing and distribution of fact sheets, organizing toolkits, and educational materials.
- Represents Power Shift Network in regional and national coalitions, at regional and national events and to the general public, as needed. This can include attending conferences and convenings of other organizations, networks and coalitions, and participating in other formations’ working groups.
- Supports fundraising efforts, including the growth of Power Shift Network’s individual donor base and assisting in development of foundation grant writing, as needed.
- Supports the planning and execution of the Power Shift Network member annual meeting and other events, as needed.
- One to three years of experience working with volunteers in the youth climate movement, environmental movement, political campaigns, or other similar organizations to plan and implement grassroots campaigns, paid or unpaid.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to clearly write and explain complex issues and effectively communicate them to new activists.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of climate change, energy, or related social justice issues.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build social networks and relationships.
- Ability to support and facilitate connections and relationship building among individuals.
- Proficient with computer skills including database and word processing.
- Experience organizing with community college students and/or on community college campuses.
- Interest and/or experience with social movement strategy and structure.
- Interest in organizational structures.
How to Apply:
Complete the form and upload your application at http://bit.ly/PSNOrganizer
Power Shift Network is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.