LaSar Development Consultants: http://www.lesardevelopment.com/internshipopportunities/
- Position #1: Research Analyst – Housing Policy
- Position #2: Research Analyst – Real Estate and Land Use
Internship Opportunities: Part-Time Paid
LeSar Development Consultants is a social innovation firm that assists our clients with growing healthy, sustainable, and vibrant communities. We provide creative solutions to complex problems with our expertise in housing, homelessness, workforce and economic development, sustainability, and transportation. Our clients include public agencies, foundations, utilities, business associations, and other stakeholders looking to create physically and economically sustainable communities. Our primary office is located at the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation, 404 Euclid Avenue in San Diego with an affiliate office in downtown Los Angeles.
This position will provide the Research Analyst with in-depth exposure to an array of disciplines, including housing policy and planning, economic development, workforce development, real estate, sustainability, and active transportation. The analyst will work with our team to demonstrate that a thoughtful and strategic interdisciplinary approach will create strong, healthy, and sustainable communities.
Specific duties for the position may include:
• Perform research and summarize findings in formal reports, including narrative, table, and presentation (e.g., PowerPoint) formats
• Research to include federal, state, and local policy issues, as well as planning documents, budgets and fees, legislation, and land use analysis
• Track local, state, and national policy issues and news
• Organize, manage, and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data
• Coordinate stakeholder and community outreach
• Work closely with project managers to ensure each project’s scope, budget, and direction are on track, and to manage client requests
• Write and edit content for requests for proposals/qualifications
• Assist with marketing materials as needed, including website content, and strategic communication tasks
• Update company social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
• Write and edit content for the monthly company newsletters
• Perform administrative tasks as needed
$15-18/hr for candidates with Bachelor’s Degree
$18-22/hr for candidates with Master’s Degree
16 – 24 hours per week during the school year and full-time during the summer
Candidate must have work experience or education in one or more of the following:
• Urban Planning
• Real Estate and Land Use Law
• Economic Development
• Environmental Policy
• Sustainable Development
• Public Policy
Master’s Degree Candidate in one of these fields is strongly preferred
Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; ability to analyze data and perform research; effective time management; familiarity with various social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook). Experience with graphic design and/or web development software is a plus.
The ideal candidate will have recently completed a minimum of 1 year of graduate school, possess a desire for real world experience and knowledge in the fields of urban planning, economic development, sustainability, and/or real estate development. Ideal candidates will have some knowledge of these principles, and some experience in project management. Exceptional interpersonal and written communication skills, proactive approach to problem-solving, and ability to assist with multiple tasks simultaneously will be crucial to the candidate’s success in this position. Demonstrated leadership and collaboration abilities, multi-cultural competencies, and bilingualism (English-Spanish) are all desirable qualities valued in the candidate screening process.
For the emerging public policy, planning or real estate professional, the position provides an opportunity to explore career options, build a resume, enhance professional credentials, and network with top professionals in these fields.
Submit the following materials to Careers@lesardevelopment.com. No phone calls, please.
1. Cover Letter indicating
a. position for which you are applying
b. statement on leadership and multi-cultural competencies (if applicable)
c. available start date and number of hours available per week
2. Resume and/or LinkedIn profile
3. Three references
4. Writing sample
5. PowerPoint sample
6. (Optional) Samples that showcase experience with web based applications (i.e. websites, social media pages, newsletters, and/or e-publications)