Rachel’s Network is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership organization that empowers and supports women environmental funders. We are hiring a senior membership director to grow our West Coast membership and support our mission of promoting women as impassioned leaders dedicated to the stewardship of the earth.
The Senior Membership Director will advance the Network’s mission by building our membership through developing and deepening relationships with potential Rachel’s Network members primarily on the West Coast. This position reports to the President and is based on the West Coast.
Individual Member Cultivation
· Meet regularly in-person with existing and potential members on the West Coast individually and at group events, and follow up with new member referrals through regular personal outreach.
· Partner with the President and Network members to identify and cultivate new West Coast members, and other new members as needed.
· Provide ongoing assistance, coordination, and strategic counsel for successful cultivation of new members by staff, Board, and other Network members.
· Work with Program Manager to host special events such as receptions, speaking events, and other member-related functions.
Organizational Membership Cultivation Plan
· Work with the Board, President and Network Engagement Director to develop an annual membership recruitment plan to increase West Coast membership. Such a plan would include:
o Researching and identifying new prospective members for cultivation;
o Developing individualized plans for prospective members;
o Tracking and maintaining appropriate information about prospective members through the Network’s database;
o Establishing benchmarks for progress in partnership with the President and Network Engagement Director;
o Developing a budget for the plan’s implementation; and
o Measuring and reporting on against membership goals throughout the year.
o Lead implementation of the annual recruitment plan on the West Coast.
Member Engagement and Communications
· Identify opportunities for prospective West Coast members to engage with members, staff, and Board and communicate with existing and prospective West Coast members regularly.
· Coordinate with relevant staff to ensure timely follow up on member and prospect requests and contributions.
· Identify and implement opportunities for West Coast member recognition, engagement, and appreciation.
Skills and Qualifications
· A bachelor’s degree and at least six years of relevant experience in membership recruitment, development, or major gifts fundraising, ideally with a conservation/environmental or women’s organization.
· Proven ability to recruit members and/or secure gifts from individuals of $10,000 or more and familiarity with best practices in development, recruitment, and cultivation.
· Ability to work independently with minimal oversight and a demonstrated history of dependability.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with positive attitude and sense of humor.
· Willingness and ability to travel frequently throughout the West Coast and occasionally further afield.
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, writing and analytical skills with outstanding attention to detail and follow through.
· An understanding of the need to maintain confidentiality at all times and to operate with a high degree of attention to individual members’ and prospects’ needs.
· Ability to produce high quality communications with minimal editing.
· Commitment to working collaboratively in a team environment and creating a positive and effective organization.
· Experience with donor database software, and Office Suite.
· Ability to work from a home office.
· Experience managing staff preferred.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, with a salary commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How to Apply
Email your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Membership Director” in the subject line. Please include specific examples of your proven ability to recruit members or secure gifts from individuals of $10,000 or more. We are seeking to fill this high-priority position as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please. All applicants must be available for an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Rachel’s Network is an equal opportunity employer.