Sr. Policy Strategist
Application Deadline: April 19, 2017
The Partnership for the Advancement of New Americans (PANA) seeks applicants for a Senior Policy Strategist. The Policy Strategist will advance both local and statewide policies focused on protecting California’s growing refugee and Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (AMEMSA) communities. This position requires the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, exercise sound independent judgment, take initiative, and prioritize and complete assignments in a timely manner.
PANA is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to advancing the full economic, social, and civic inclusion of refugees in San Diego. PANA uses an integrated voter engagement approach to its community organizing, public policy, and research in order to build and leverage deep community networks, develop community leaders, and establish a civic engagement infrastructure to amplify their voice, visibility and impact.
Since 2015, the Partnership for the Advancement of New Americans – PANA, has led the fight to lift up refugee voices as equal participants in the civic, social, and economic life of San Diego County. PANA’s unique role works at the intersections of African, Middle Eastern, Muslim, & South Asian refugee communities impacted by racial/ethnic profiling, religious bias, heightened scrutiny, proposed increased government surveillance, and poverty among the many issues affecting our refugee communities.
The Sr. Policy Strategist will utilize a variety of strategies and hold multiple responsibilities including coalition building, coordination of the organizing work, communications, and the analysis and development of political advocacy strategies in pursuit local and statewide policy campaigns to protect and advance the full inclusion of our refugee and AMEMSA communities.
In 2017 – 2018, the Sr. Policy Strategist will work in collaboration with the Director of Community Partnerships and Civic Engagement to advance an affordable housing agenda in San Diego. The Policy Strategist will also be required to foster a collaborative working relationship with the State Attorney General’s office and other key lawmakers at the local, state and national level.
This position will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the Director of Community Partnerships and Civic Engagement, as well as the community organizing team.
● Foster relationships with coalitions and organizations locally and across the state working on advancing immigrants rights and refugee issues.
● Conduct legal/policy research, data analysis and draft policy reports.
● Produce advocacy tools and materials.
● Develop and execute organizational policy priorities and campaigns.
● Contribute to and support the development of organizing campaigns.
● Train and support the development of new staff and the organizing team.
● Build and strengthen relationships with local, state, and federal lawmakers and stakeholders.
● Support the Advocacy Academy and the leadership development of community members.
● Participate in national coalitions and calls to support, protect and advance protection efforts.
● Speak publicly at conferences, meetings, and engage with the press.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
● A minimum of two years demonstrated professional experience leading and executing administrative and/or legislative policy campaign strategies.
● Demonstrated experience organizing or engaging with refugee and/or immigrant communities.
● Experience leading political campaigns including ballot measures.
● Demonstrated commitment to refugee and immigrant communities.
● Excellent research, oral and written skills.
● Extremely organized with close attention to detail and accuracy.
● Ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively in a rapidly changing environment.
● Ability to speak Arabic, Karen, Urdu, Farsi, Vietnamese, Somali, Amharic, Tigrinya, or Swahili strongly preferred.
● Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, and sophisticated use of technology.
● J.D./graduate degree preferred, or a bachelor’s degree and minimum four years of policy/organizing experience.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits.
Applicants should email a resume, writing sample, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.