Approaching its 21st year, Leadership In Action (LIA) is an eight-week, paid summer internship program located in Southern California. LIA offers a unique opportunity for the next generation of community leaders to receive personal leadership development and practical workforce training in the nonprofit sector. Interns kick off the program with a week of training, followed by additional training once a week for the length of the program. They are also placed at a Southern California nonprofit organization for four days a week for the last seven weeks of the program.
Nationally recognized trainers are recruited to deliver workshops in critical skill areas. Issue discussions are on local or timely topics of interest and are facilitated by local community leaders/activists and LEAP trainers.
- Participate in professional and personal development centered around leadership, Asian and Pacific Islander (API) culture, values, and community
- Gain work experience at an API-serving nonprofit organization
- Impact the community through a group project
- Network with individuals committed to the greater API community
Who should apply?
College students or recent graduates with:
- A passion for learning and developing leadership skills
- An interest in gaining work experience in a nonprofit organization
- Knowledge or experience working in collaboration with the API community (Preferred but not necessary)
Applicants must have completed two year of college by June 18, 2018, currently enrolled in college, or a recent graduate.
Program Length and Stipend
The eight-week program runs from June 18 through August 10, 2018. Interns will receive a stipend of $3,520 for successful completion of the program. Interns are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and insurance.
How to Apply
- Complete the Leadership in Action application at:http://www.leap.org/empower_liaapplication
- Submit the following supporting documents:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Current resume
- Short Essay – preview questions online.
Monday, March 5, 2018
For Additional Information or Questions