Labor Council Communications Internship
Fall & Spring 2018 (January – June)
The San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO is an organization made up of 125 affiliated Local unions that represent 92,000 union members in our area. We organize in workplaces and throughout our communities for economic and social justice. We mobilize to help rebuild the middle class and fight for good jobs for all working people.
From February until June 2018, we have the following internship available:
Our Communication Intern will work with the Labor Council by:
• Assisting in media production (e.g. creating content, editing and producing videos);
• providing content and design assistance for our online & social media platforms
• Proposing and managing advertising on our behalf
• Strengthening our relationship with local media outlets and reporters
• Creating content highlighting current social, environmental, and political issues for mass distribution
• Assisting in strengthening and streamlining our communications program
Currently enrolled and or major related to any of the following (English, Social
Science, Visual arts, Writing and Communications – other majors with strong
communications skills may also apply)
Experience in communications, public relations, event management, graphic design or
video production & editing;
A passion for storytelling;
Experience with operating and maintaining social media and online platforms;
Highly organized and efficient;
Personable, mature and dependable demeanor;
Ability to meet deadlines;
Strong written and verbal skills;
Strong oral communications skills
Ability to effectively communicate with diverse communities
Ability to work independently and achieve results;
Experience and comfort working with communities of color and immigrant
Bi-lingual applicants preferred but not require
Hours: Hours are somewhat flexible, but must be willing to occasionally work early mornings, evenings and weekends for required events, and be available to work up to 20 hours a week.
Duration: The duration of this internship will be 18 weeks; begin February 12, 2018 and ending June 12th, 2018
Deadline: The deadline to apply is January 31st, 2018.
Compensation: The position will be paid $15/hour
To apply for this program, applicants should send their resume with a cover letter and short
responses to the following questions to Human Resources at email@example.com
Please include “Communications Intern Application” under the Subject line of the email.
1. Why do you want to be part of this program?
2. What does the labor movement mean to you?
3. What does economic and social justice mean to you?
4. What do you look to gain out of this internship?
5. What unique technical, creative and writing skills will you bring to this internship?